These crayon holders are perfect for the kids’ table for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any winter-themed party or gathering. The kids can decorate the crayon holders first (two free, printable pictures to choose from), then use the containers to hold crayons to draw, doodle and write about the things for which they are thankful. Cover the kids table with butcher paper to give plenty of doodling space—and for easy clean-up! Print out one or both of the picture templates for the kids to color.
Construction paper or white printer paper
Crayon-height jar (3½”–4”) with lid. A clean Talenti Gelato container is perfect for this project!
Markers, crayons, colored pencils or watercolor
- Cut one strip of construction paper for each holiday theme to fit around the jar, under the rim of the lid. For a Talenti jar, cut a strip that is 3¼” x 11”.
- Draw a holiday or seasonal scene, OR print drawn picture templates (click here) on printer paper to color.
– For a winter scene, draw snowmen, trees, people sledding, a house, or any ideas you have for winter. Or, print our template (see number 2 above).
– For a Fall or Thanksgiving scene, draw colorful leaves, pumpkins, a family gather, etc. Or, print our template (see number 2 above).
- Color or paint the scenes; allow to dry.
- Tape a picture around the outside of the jar. If the jar is clear, you can set the image on the inside, facing out.
- Fill with crayons.
- When finished, each scene can be stored inside the jar until you’re ready to use it again.
Alternate decorating idea: Create a collage using cut-out images from magazines or photos; glue them onto the blank paper strip to create a personalized scene.
Alyssa Navapanich is a nationally recognized art educator who teaches art to elementary school kids in East San Diego County. She is the author of San Diego Family Magazine’s “Art with Alyssa” column.