Turn a plain pair of flip-flops into a Fourth of July fashion statement. Wear them all summer long—red, white & blue never goes out of style!
- Flip flops (available at the dollar store)
- Ribbon*, tulle or flannel in red, white, and blue (use at least three colors).
Note: If your child has sensory issues, using flannel material instead of ribbon or tulle will be softer on the feet.
- Cut each type of ribbon or material into several 3” lengths (if using flannel, strips should be 1” wide). Lay them out in the order you want them tied onto the flip-flops.
- Starting at the outer edge of the strap of one flip-flop, place the middle of a length of ribbon under the strap. Tie the ribbon on with a double knot.
- Continue adding ribbons this way as you work your way to the other end of the strap, and until the strap is covered. Follow the same process with the other flip-flop.
- Fluff the ribbons with your fingers and trim to the desired length.
*I used a combination of grosgrain ribbon and sparkly tulle for the flip flops pictured.
Tiffany Doerr Guerzon is a freelance writer and a mom of three children.