Boredom is a precursor to creativity, so being bored is not all bad. But if you're ready for a change of pace, our boredom busters encourage families to get moving and start making memories!
- Blow bubbles.
- Take a nature walk.
- Have a water fight (parents, too)!
- Have an outdoor movie night. If you don’t have an outdoor screen or projector, sit in the backyard with a laptop, movie treats and popcorn.
- Decorate your bikes; then take a family bike ride together while playing music.
- Start a garden. Try planting cucumbers, beans, beets, potatoes or squash (pumpkins for Halloween!). Check with your local nursery for guidance. No yard? Get tips on patio gardening at www.sandiegofamily.com/for-the-kids/family-science/plant-a-patio-garden.
Connect with Others
- Learn about another culture. Sign up with Kids for Peace (based in Carlsbad) to get connected with a pen pal in another country. Get details at www.kidsforpeaceglobal.org/peacefulpenpals.
- Host an “Our Family's Got Talent” show where everyone participates. Sing, dance, read a poem, play an instrument, tell a joke, etc. FaceTime distant relatives so they can participate.
- Bake cookies for a neighbor.
- Paint rocks with happy faces and words; place them around your neighborhood for people to find.
- Have a dance party with friends on Zoom.
- Browse ideas for a family vacation. Find inspiration at www.sandiegofamily.com/things-to-do/travel.
- Spearhead a school supply drive for local families who need extra support.
- Brainstorm family Halloween costumes or yard decorations; Strive to have the most fun house on the block.
- Suggest the kids make their Christmas wish lists.
- Have a “life skills day” when parents teach kids how to do things like change the oil in the car, do laundry and cook spaghetti.
Play Around with Food
- Make homemade ice cream or snow cones.
- Choose one key ingredient and challenge the family to a cooking competition.
- Turn snack time into playtime. www.sandiegofamily.com/search?q=snacking+with+joy.
- Carve watermelons into fun shapes. Instructions: www.sandiegofamily.com/things-to-do/dining-and-recipes/watermelon-cat-carving
- Go on a photo scavenger hunt. Then make a summer scrapbook out of a paper bag. Learn how at www.sandiegofamily.com/for-the-kids/crafts-for-kids/recycled-craft-memory-book.
- Draw a mural in the driveway with sidewalk chalk.
- Make (and play) a life-size game of Candy Land. Learn how at www.sowingseedslibrarian.com/2018/07/12/life-size-candyland.
- Build a kiddie car wash for neighborhood kids to drive through with their bikes, scooters or mini cars! Find full instructions at www.sandiegofamily.com/for-the-kids/crafts-for-kids.
Missed our article about fun scavenger hunts? Find it HERE.