Nothing says “party time” like popcorn covered in festive sprinkles! This delicious treat is perfect for a movie-themed birthday party or a just-because party snack. Celebrating with a drive-by party? Create adorable party favors with clear cellophane bags and a bow -- then let party guests grab a bag as they drive by! Choose candies and sprinkles that match your celebration theme.
24 cups prepared plain popcorn, or 2 batches homemade popcorn made from 1⁄2 cup of kernels
3 cups white chocolate chips
3 heaping Tbs. yellow cake mix (just the powdered mix, don’t prepare the cake batter)
1 (11.4 oz.) bag M&M’s
Sprinkles (your color choice)
- Place popcorn in a very large mixing bowl.
- Place white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 30 seconds; use oven mitts to remove the bowl. Stir the chips and continue to heat in 15-second intervals until the chocolate is melted. When the chocolate is nice and smooth, stir in the cake mix powder.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the popcorn and use a large cooking spoon to stir, coating popcorn with the chocolate.
- Spread the popcorn onto a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper and let it cool for 2 to 3 minutes before adding candies. Don’t wait too long though, or the sprinkles may not stick.
- Sprinkle candies and sprinkles evenly over the popcorn. Let the mixture cool completely and harden.
- Break the popcorn into large pieces and serve in party cups (or gift bags as explained above).
Reprinted with permission from The Ultimate Kids Baking Book by Tiffany Dahle, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Tiffany Dahle