Ring in the New Year with fun and festive DIY noisemakers (resolutions are optional)!
- Empty aluminum soda or juice cans
- Pennies, small rocks, dried beans and/or jingle bells
- Leftover gift wrap, ribbons/bows and assorted holiday decorations
- New Year’s numbers and/or images*
- Small pieces of black cardstock
- Clear cellophane tape
- Decorative paper tape (optional)
- White pencil or pen
- Add some pennies, small rocks, dried beans, jingle bells (or any small items that will make noise) into an empty and dry aluminum can.
- Wrap the can in gift wrap, gathering it at the top and securing it with tied ribbon and/or clear tape.
- Use scissors to trim the top of the paper if desired.
- Decorate the wrapped can by tying scraps of ribbon and garland around the gathered gift wrap.
- Use tape to attach an image*, such as the number 12, the year 2015, a clock, a New Year’s greeting or a first name.
- Cut a small rectangle from black paper and attach it with clear or decorative tape to the front of the decorated can.
- Use a white pencil or pen to write a New Year’s resolution on the black label.
- Repeat the steps above to make as many noisemakers as desired and use them to decorate for New Year’s Eve.
- At midnight, vigorously shake the can and resoundly ring in the New Year and the resolution!
- *Images can be drawn, cut from magazines or printed from the computer.
Pamela Maxwell is an artist, author and mother of two boys. Photos by Pamela Maxwell.