This Memorial Day Weekend, spend some time with your family honoring and remembering the sacrifices of our military heroes.
- Don’t miss USS Midway’s Legacy Week, (May 26-May 29) an annual celebration that honors and remembers our military heroes, and celebrates our military heritage. The USS Midway Museum’s “Legacy Week” is the heart and soul of Memorial Day commemoration in San Diego. This year's events and activities will be offered onboard. Events include live entertainment on the flight deck, an interactive Remembrance Wall, meet-and-greet with former aviators, Top Gun screening, annual blood drive and more. www.midway.org/exhibits-activities/special-days/legacy-week
- On Sunday, May 28 at 5 pm (PST), watch the live broadcast of the National Memorial Day Concert that celebrates members of the U.S. armed forces. The National Memorial Day Concert returns for a special presentation on PBS, featuring new performances and tributes filmed around the nation. The special presentation will feature all-new content dedicated to our service members, their families and all those who have given their lives for our country. Livestream will be available at www.pbs.org/national-memorial-day-concert.
- Fort Rosecrans Memorial Day Ceremony. May 29, 10 am-12 pm. 1800 Cabrillo Memorial Dr.
- Mt. Soledad Memorial Day Ceremony. The Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial will honor our nation's heroes through a live tribute event on May 29 from 11 am-12 pm. 6905 La Jolla Scenic Dr. S. www.soledadmemorial.org
- Encourage the kids to show appreciation for the servicemen and women who risk their lives every day to ensure our freedom. Through Operation Gratitude, you can send handmade items like scarves and hats, write a letter thanking them for their service and more.
- On Memorial Day, be part of the National Moment of Remembrance by pausing for a moment of silence at 3 pm local time. Take one minute to remember those who have died serving our country.
- Show your American pride by making a patriotic patchwork flag with recycled magazines. Find the complete instructions at www.sandiegofamily.com/for-the-kids/crafts-for-kids/4th-of-july-flag-craft.
- Deck your home with red, white and blue! Start by making a patriotic DIY banner that you can display from Memorial Day through the Fourth of July.
Updated: May 2023