Mother’s Day 2020 is sure to be different, but we can still show love and appreciation for Mom in creative and fun ways. Check out these virtual happenings and family activities that help create a special Mother’s Day experience without leaving the house.
- Make lovely gifts for Mommy in a virtual edition of Studio by the Bay’s Family Days on May 9, 11-11:30 am. Make a one-of-a-kind textured Mother’s Day card and a bouquet using household and found materials.
- Missing The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch? Let the flowers come to you! Revel in the beauty of this floral paradise as owner, Paul Ecke III, takes you on a virtual tour of The Flower Fields’ many attractions.
- Is Mom a Broadway fanatic? Let her indulge in her favorite Broadway shows with a free, 7-day trial from theater-streaming service, BroadwayHD.
- Treat Mommy like royalty – let her experience a grand virtual tour of Buckingham Palace in London, and discover what it’s like to live like a queen! London doesn’t have to be your only stop; explore more than a thousand museums and galleries around the globe, courtesy of Google Arts & Culture.
- Make the celebration even sweeter by whipping up an irresistible Flower Power Cake, a fun baking activity that stimulates creativity and satisfies a sweet tooth.
- On May 10, enjoy a front row seat to a free, one-hour Spreckels Organ concert in Balboa Park which livestreams at 2 pm.
- Send your loved one a virtual bouquet of flowers, with help from India’s Museum of Art and Photography (MAP). The museum is creating the world’s largest virtual flower bouquet to inspire hope, something we all need now more than ever. Pick your favorites from more than a thousand flowers submitted from around the globe or upload a photo of a flower from your own garden to add to the collection.
- Is working out Mama's idea of fun? Then put a healthy twist on Mother’s Day by having the whole family participate in a variety of free online workouts. Search YouTube for family-friendly cardio and Zumba workouts, check out Beachbody Kids workouts on their Vimeo page, and get 30 days of free access to workouts from NEO Kids.
9. Kids can learn how to make a colorful drip painting, an awesome work of art that will surely earn a place on Mommy’s wall.
10. LEGOLAND California Resort is giving kids a helping hand this Mother's Day by teaching them how to build a LEGO flower for Mom in a special video presented by Master Builder, Tim Sams. Using 46 pieces of LEGO, the flower can be combined with other LEGO flowers to create an everlasting bouquet.
Jenny Burman is San Diego Family’s calendar editor.