Make delicious beignets to celebrate Mardi Gras or any special occasion! The New-Orleans style fritters are similar to doughnuts (but square, with no hole) and are best served hot and dusted with powdered sugar. This recipe (courtesy of Union Kitchen & Tap in Encinitas) is sure to please a crowd.
Makes about 42 beignets
2 cups water (room temperature)
2 Tbs. dry yeast
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup evaporated milk
8 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
- Bloom dry yeast in the water for about 3 minutes. Add remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate (large) bowl.
- In a mixer, using a dough hook, combine all wet and dry ingredients and mix for approx. 15 mins.
- Place dough in a bowl coated with nonstick spray.
- Let dough rest/rise overnight.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough on a floured surface to half an inch thick. Cut into 1x1 inch squares.
- Fry dough pieces in a deep fryer at 350 degrees (approx. one minute per side).
- Top with powdered sugar and serve with dipping sauce of choice (jam, chocolate sauce, etc.).
Prefer to have beignets made for you? Find them on the brunch menu (with a side of mixed berry jam) at Union Kitchen & Tap.