Need ideas for Halloween on how to carve a pumpkin? Check out these great pumpkin patterns below and start your pumpkin carvings today!
Here's how to carve your own Cat o’ Lantern.
You will need:
- A pumpkin
- Some newspapers
- A large metal spoon
- A paring knife
- A permanent marker
- A candle
- Layout newspapers to keep your work surface clean.
- Using a permanent marker, draw a large circle around the top of the pumpkin’s stem and draw a big cat face on the front using one of our cat o’lantern illustrations as a guide.
- Cut a hole big enough around the pumpkin stem so that you can easily clean out the pumpkin. Save the piece you cut out to use as a lid.
- Clean and scrape out the inside of the pumpkin with your spoon.
- The pumpkin wall should be no more than one inch thick.
- Trace or copy your favorite design onto your pumpkin. Carve your cat o’lantern’s face.
- Light a candle inside the pumpkin, then close the lid. Quickly put out the flame and look for the blackened spot inside the lid. Cut a small hole there; it will let the smoke and heat escape while a candle glows inside.
- Put your cat o’lantern in a safe spot on your doorstep or windowsill to show your support for Trick-or-Treat for Big Cats this Halloween!
For more great activities, visit: kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/activities/moreactivities/pumpkin-carving/.
Special thanks to causeanuproar.org!