Events from August 24, 2018
- On August 24, 2018The Discovery Channel’s Emmy-nominated series comes to life to uncover truths behind popular myths by mixing the scientific method with gleeful curiosity and old-fashioned ingenuity! Open daily; visit website for hours and admission. www.fleetscience.org.
- On August 24, 2018Explore the technology behind everything fast at this new exhibit where you can take a closer look at the fastest jets, planes, rockets, cars, motorcycles, boats and bicycles in the world. Different theme each month; this month’s theme is “Drag Racing.” Open daily, 10 am-4:30 pm. $10.75-$19.75; ages 2 & under free. www.sandiegoairandspace.org.
- On August 24, 2018Active-duty military including National Guard and Reserve and their families receive free admission to more than 2,000 museums across the country through this annual program. May 26-Sept. 3. www.arts.gov/bluestarmuseums.
- On August 24, 2018June 1 until Aug. 1 at San Diego Public Library branches; June 1 until Aug. 31 at San Diego County Library branches. www.sandiego.gov/public-library/kidsandteens/summerreading; www.sdcl.org.
- On August 24, 2018Enjoy African-themed entertainment, trampoline performances, and shows like Dr. Zoolittle and Friends Explore Africa and Call of the Night, a symphony of live music, lasers, rhythmic acrobats, bubbles and moving lights. Through Sept. 3, 4-9 pm. Free with Zoo admission. www.sandiegozoo.org.
- On August 24, 2018Birch Aquarium at Scripps presents this new comic book-inspired exhibit about the fascinating adaptations (a.k.a. super powers) of ocean species. See how these creatures have inspired everything from cinema and pop culture to medicine and engineering. Opens June 29; 9 am-5 pm. Included with admission. 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla. www.aquarium.ucsd.edu.
- On August 24, 2018Hornblower Cruises & Events offers these fun-filled cruises where you can see dolphins and sea lion, and get the chance to see the legendary blue whales and other large baleen whales. During the four-hour tour, you'll be treated to a live narration by their experienced captain and an on-board naturalist from the San Diego Natural History Museum. Fri.-Mon., through Sept. 3, 9 am-1 pm. Pier 2, 970 N. Harbor Dr., downtown San Diego. For fees and reservations, visit www.hornblower .com/port/overview/sd+whalewatching.
- On August 24, 2018Little ones, ages 5 & under, can explore the natural world through play in this new exhibit space. Visit website for hours and museum admission. San Diego Natural History Museum, Balboa Park. www.sdnat.org.