Frequently Asked Questions about San Diego Family's Cover Kids Search.
- How do I enter?
This year's registration is now closed. It is best to enter directly online and pay with PayPal or you can mail in your registration form with a check to:
San Diego Family Magazine
1475 6th Ave. 5th Floor
San Diego, CA 92101
For mail: You will be able to print out your registration form.
2. Who is eligible to enter?
Any San Diego County resident who fits into one or more age category (and has not appeared on the cover of San Diego Family or Out & About for two years) is eligible. Children must be 2-11 years old as of November 1, 2019.
3. What are the categories?
There are three age categories and one Multiples/Parent-Child category:
The Multiples/Parent-Child category can be siblings (including twins, triplets), parent/child, best friends and grandparent/grandchild.
Please note: Very rarely do we include more than 2-3 people on our cover at one time. If you enter as a group (of more than two) and are chosen as winners, it is likely that not everyone in the group will be included on the cover.
4. Where do I find an entry form?
Print a copy of the entry form here, which can be mailed with your payment and photo to the San Diego Family office, Cover Kids Search, 1475 6th Ave. 5th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101, or register online and make your payment via PayPal to complete the registration form.
5. How much does it cost to enter?
It costs $25 for each age category entry and $35 for each Multiples entry. A portion of the proceeds from the contest will be donated to Birch Aquarium at Scripps and The Special Needs Resource Foundation of San Diego.
1 Child = 1 Entry
1 Multiples/Parent-Child = 1 Entry
2 Children = 2 Entries
1 Child + 1 Multiples/Parent-Child = 2 Entries
2 Children + 1 Multiples/Parent-Child = 3 Entries
6. Can I enter more than one child?
Yes. Each child entered will need a separate entry form, photo and registration fee, unless they are entered together in the multiples category.
7. Can I enter more than one category?
Yes. You can enter each child in one age category and the Multiples/Parent-Child category. Each age category entry is $25 and needs a separate registration form. Each Multiples entry is $35. A portion of the proceeds from the contest will be donated to Birch Aquarium at Scripps and The Special Needs Resource Foundation of San Diego.
8. What type of photo should I submit?
Choose a photo that shows the unique features or personality of your child. Photos do not need to be professionally taken. We are looking for clear, close-up photos, with only one person in the photo (except for the Multiples/Parent-Child category). Preferably no hat or anything that blocks the face or leaves a shadow. The child should be facing forward (not sideways) with minimal background.
9. Will the photo I submit be used on the cover?
No. A photo shoot with San Diego Family Magazine will be scheduled for each Cover Kid Winner. However, if your child is selected as a finalist, the photo you submitted will be posted on our website.
10. How many photos can I submit?
We prefer one photo per entry. We will not accept more than two photos per entry.
11. How recent should the photo be?
The photo should be taken within three months of the entry date.
12. Will the photo I submit be returned?
No. Photos will not be returned.
13. How does it work?
- Step 1: San Diego Family Magazine will select 25 finalists in each category from the photos submitted.
- Step 2: The 100 finalists will appear before a panel of judges in February or March. Seven Cover Kid winners (two winners from each age category and one from the Multiples/Parent-Child) will be selected by our judges.
14. How will I be notified if my child is one of the 100 finalists?
All entrants will receive an email or phone call informing them of the results. The submitted photos of the 100 finalists will be posted on our website in February.
15. When will we find out who the winners are?
The seven winners will be notified within three weeks of the judging event. Their names and photos will be published in San Diego Family Magazine and online.
16. What happens to the personal information I provided to San Diego Family Magazine?
For additional information, please contact Linda Bay:
>> Watch the video from last year's Cover Search Event!
page updated: Oct. 15, 2019