This American flag “cake” will be the star of your 4th of July picnic or summer party—and it’s easy enough that the kids can help make it! Here’s how to make an American flag “cake” with fruit kebobs.
- Seedless watermelon, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 package fresh, washed blackberries
- 1 angel food cake, cut into 1” cubes (white part only)
- 12 wooden skewers
- Dips of your choice
- Thread 5 blackberries on five skewers, followed by alternating cake and watermelon cubes (end with watermelon).
- Alternate watermelon and cake on the remaining skewers, so that the first and last cubes are both watermelon. The fruit and cake will create stripes when lined properly with red stripes at the top and bottom.
- Serve with your favorite dips. Try red, white and blue yogurt dips—or chocolate, caramel or marshmallow for a super sweet tooth.
Recipe provided by the National Watermelon Promotion Board. Learn more at www.watermelon.org.