You’ve thought about it and have decided to take the kids downtown San Diego during Comic-Con. There are things you can do to help navigate crowds and maximize fun. Here are helpful hints on how to tackle Comic-Con with kids.
1. Go early; Leave early. Comic-Con attracts a predominantly late-night party crowd so early morning is a great time to explore with kids.
2. Take the trolley. Parking downtown is nearly impossible (and expensive). Avoid stress by taking the trolley (or get dropped off).
3. Use sunscreen. There is a lot of waiting in line, so be sure to apply sunscreen and wear a hat.
4. Pack snacks. While there are plenty of restaurants downtown, most have long lines so bring snacks to tide you over.
5. Bring a backpack. To carry all the fun promotional swag that’s freely given out!
6. Go in costume. Cosplay (costume play) is a great way to feel part of the Comic-Con community. Focus on comfort. Zombie makeup is an easy way to participate.
7. Take photos. Most costumed characters are happy to pose for photos with kids, which make great mementos.
8. Pick a meeting place. With such heavy crowds, designate a safe meeting place in case you get separated.
9. Pace yourself. Sunday is typically quieter and may be more suitable for kids’ tolerance levels.
10. Monitor media. Many activities aren’t announced until July. Visit www.sdccblog.com for the latest news.
Twitter is a great way to learn what is happening at Comic-Con in real time. Follow these sources:
Gina Petrone is a local writer with two teenage boys who were dutifully raised on Harry Potter, Star Wars and all things Marvel. Photos used with permission from the author.
Read Family-Friendly Comic-Con Events to find out what’s happening at (or outside of) Comic-Con this year.
Published June 2017