Six Ways to Make Mother's Day Special
Whether you're a new or seasoned mom, grandmother, godmother or mommy-to-be, we wish you a relaxing, wonderful day!
Get in the spirit by reading what San Diego kids have to say about
their moms in the article "What Kids Love Most About Mom." Click May issue to read the story-it's sure to put a smile on your face!
If you're looking for fun ways to celebrate your day, plan to do one (or more!) of these great family activities:
- Garden Celebration at the Zoo. Kick off Mother’s Day weekend with this annual event featuring 700,000 lush plants around the Zoo, free botanical bus tours, lavender sachet crafts, a Dr. Zoolittle show and exhibits about water conservation. May 8-10, 10 am-3 pm. On May 10, the first 1,000 mom visitors will receive a dried lavender bouquet. Free with admission. San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park. www.sandiegozoo.org; 619-231-1515, ext. 4298.
- Luncheon & Fashion Show for Moms. Step aboard the historic ferry, Berkeley, and enjoy fantastic bay views, a delicious lunch, a fashion show and souvenir gifts. May 9, 11:30 am-2:30 pm. $25-$50. Includes admission to all the museum’s ships. Maritime Museum of San Diego, 1492 N. Harbor Dr., downtown San Diego. www.sdmaritime.org; 619-670-3643.
- Mother’s Day Tea. Come to this tea party that celebrates moms! Includes a craft and delightful treats such as pastries, sandwiches, desserts and more. May 9, 4 pm. Mom/child pair $15; $5 per sibling. Call to RSVP. Java Mama Café, 8250 La Mesa Blvd., La Mesa. www.javamama.com; 619-337-0012.
- Mom’s Day at the Museum of San Diego History. Make a special craft to celebrate Mother’s Day and learn about Kate Sessions, the “Mother of Balboa Park.” May 10, 1-4 pm. Free with admission. $2-$5; ages 5 & under free. Casa de Balboa Bldg., Balboa Park. www.sandiegohistory.org; 619-232-6203, ext. 129.
- Prepare a Special Mother's Day Dessert. Click Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake for an easy recipe you can make with your children.
- Kids Can Create a Mosaic Mother's Day Card. Click here for directions.
For more ideas on how to celebrate, click for our May calendar.