A Look Back at San Diego Family Logos
San Diego Family Magazine
A Look Back
|SDFM has been San Diego County’s best parenting resource since 1982. We grew from 8 pages to nearly 200. Recently, we joined the Internet revolution, and each issue is now available online. You can also connect with us via Facebook, Twitter and email. It’s never been easier to access your favorite family guide!|
|• The 8-page Parents’ Press sells for $1.25.
• A pack of Pampers Newborn Diapers sells for about $2.95.
• Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney release their single “Ebony and Ivory.”
• The Old Globe Theater opens in Balboa Park.
• Pete Wilson becomes the first elected U.S. senator from San Diego.
• A first-class postage stamp costs 20 cents.
|• Sharon and Larry Bay purchase San Diego Family, a free publication reaching 40,000 readers.
• Steven Meineke begins writing his award-winning column, Family Album.
• Horton Plaza shopping center opens in downtown San Diego, part of a 140 million dollar redevelopment project.
• The San Diego Symphony gets a new home at Symphony Hall (formerly the Fox Theatre).
|• SD Family Press reaches 53,000 readers.
• Space Shuttle Challenger explodes just after takeoff.
• Smoking is banned on public trains, planes, busses and coaches.
• The average price of a gallon of gas is 89 cents.
• Clint Eastwood is elected mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
• Family Press changes its format from a newspaper to a magazine.
|• SD Family Press gets a glossy cover. It offers the first local education and after-school enrichment guides.
• The population of the City of San Diego hits 1,110,549.
• “Seinfeld” premieres.
• Former Mayor Pete Wilson is elected Governor of California, becoming the first governor from San Diego.
• The Hubble Space Telescope is launched.
• The first McDonald’s opens in Moscow, Russia.
|• The magazine boasts a readership of 120,00.
• The magazine moves into its downtown office.
• There were 48,810 births in San Diego County.
• “Cheers” ends its 11-year run on NBC.
• Janet Reno is confirmed by the United States Senate and sworn-in the next day, becoming the first female Attorney General of the United States.
|• The California Center for the Arts opens in Escondido.
• A magnitude 6.7 earthquake occurs in Northridge.
• “Friends” premieres.
• A first-class postage stamp costs 29 cents.
|• The renamed San Diego Family Magazine celebrates its 20th year of publication and reaches 120,000 readers.
• The UN recognizes September 21 as International Peace Day.
• Kelly Clarkson wins the first American Idol contest.
|• SDFM gets a fresh new look, from cover to cover.
• SanDiegoFamily.com wins a Gold Award from Parenting Publications of America.
• Now you can friend SDFM on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
• Still San Diego County’s best events and parenting resource!